- One Direction?!?! OH MY GOSH, SERIOUSLY? You're so cool Lucy!
- One Direction?!?! Why, just why. You're so uncool Lucy...
Personally, I'm in love with One Direction. But then again, I'm a 15 year old girl, so that's practically expected.
I used the Hummingbird Bakery Chocolate Cupcake recipe. Because, why bother with any other cupcakes? Hummingbird is superior.
200g plain flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
280g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
80g unsalted butter
240 ml whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter
4 tbsp whole milk
4 drops vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3
2. Put the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and beat until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3. Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a bowl, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine. Slowly pour in the remaining milk mixture. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix!
4. Spoon into pre-prepared cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave cupcakes to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Beat the sugar and butter until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Combine the milk and vanilla in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a little at a time. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
6. Decorate as desired.
I'm hoping they will sell well. Pre-teenage girls love One Direction right? I have 40 chocolate cupcakes, topped with an variety of One Direction themed cupcake toppers (bought online from Simply Topps)
But they were a pain for make! Five hours slaving in the kitchen (that's including an hour lost in Waitrose trying to find some cocoa), so they weren't very quick and easy to make, which is what I am looking for.
Nice try, Luce.
Just in case you were interested (which you're not), Louis Tomlinson is my favourite from One Direction. So there is me and my Louis cupcake. Mwaaah.