Wednesday 30 November 2011

Earl Grey Cupcakes

I've never been to Primrose Bakery, but oh my gosh, I really want to! I've been dying to try out this recipe for a while now. Earl Grey is my favourite variety of tea, so this recipe was too good to resist.


Earl Grey Cupcakes
(from Primrose Bakery)

Ingredients
125ml milk
4 Earl Grey tea bags (or you could sub with your favourite variety)
110g unsalted butter
225g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp almond essence (optional)
125g self-raising flour
120g flour

Frosting:
115g unsalted butter
60ml semi skimmed milk
1tsp good quality vanilla extract
500g icing sugar
few drops of lilac food colouring

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
Heat milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until it begins to boil. Remove from the heat and add teabags. Cover with a lid for about 30 minutes.
Cream butter with sugar in a bowl until the mixture is pale and smooth. After this has been achieved, add almond extract and eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Scrape bowl with a spatula to make sure that the mixture is well combined.
Combine the flours in a separate bowl. Add a third of the flour to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well. Pour in a third of the milk/tea mixture and beat. Repeat until all the flour and milk has been added.
Carefully spoon mixture into cupcake cases, filling each one two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes. 
After cooked, leave in 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.
To make butter cream, beat butter, milk, vanilla and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the rest of icing sugar to produce a creamy and smooth consistency. Add a drop of colouring and beat thoroughly.




There's nothing I love more than a cup of tea, whether it be a standard builder's brew, or something really weird (I'm desperate to try pomegranate tea!). But at the moment, I'm totally hooked on Earl Grey tea. 
So I'm going to sit here and eat these cupcakes while drinking the namesake tea. Yum!!

On another note, I recently found a baking blog that I'm absolutely obsessed with. It's called katiecakes, so you should go and check it out, because personally I think she's amazing!
Also, theres a new blog name. Orla came up with it, so go check out her Twitter!
And while you're there, check out my Twitter!

Happy December to you all, I've got some festive bakes up my sleeve!

1 comment:

  1. Lucy. Those were goood cupcakes as well :)

    ReplyDelete