Monday 12 December 2011

Gingerbread Men

Happy December!! The countdown to Christmas is truly underway.

I'm far too poor to afford presents for all my friends, so I'm going to bake them all gifts instead. To kickstart things, I made some simple gingerbread. Everyone loves them, and they're super cute, so everybody wins!

Ingredients
140g unsalted butter
100g dark muscovado sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of sida
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Icing and other decorations

Method
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line some baking sheets with baking parchment. Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Mix flour, soda, spices in a bowl. Stir in the butter mix to make a stiff-ish dough.
2. Wait until cool enough to handle, then roll out dough to about 5mm thick. Stamp out gingerbread men. Lift onto baking sheets.
3. Bake for 12 minutes until golden. Cool for 10 minutes on the sheets, then lift onto cooling racks.



I had a bit more dough left after cutting ten gingerbread men, so I made a couple of Christmas trees, just to feel that little bit more festive!



The smell and taste of ginger and cinnamon just remind me of Christmas, and I always seem to bake gingerbread at this time of the year!

Probably a few more bakes to be posted before Christmas. Man, I love this time of the year.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha 'I always seem to make gingerbread this time of year' Yeah, cause they are christmas biscuits :) Anyways, your recipe looks better than mine, so I may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete