Wednesday 28 December 2011

Gingerbread Cupcakes

I can't seem to get over my post-Christmas depression, so I have baked even more festive goodies to keep me in the Christmas spirit. Also, I had countless Christmas themed cupcake cases, and the thought of keeping them until next December filled me with dread.

I've noticed that the last three things I've baked have been gingerbread bakes. I'm a bit gingerbread-ed out now!

Ingredients
140g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
60g black treacle
60g golden syrup
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
310g plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
240ml hot milk

For the frosting:

600g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter
250g full-fat cream cheese (Philidelphia)
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
Christmas themed shapes, to decorate

Method
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190C. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.

2.  Add the treacle, golden syrup, eggs and egg yolks and continue mixing until all ingredients are evenly combined.

3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, mixing on a low speed and adding in two or three batches, alternating with the hot milk. Continue to mix until the batter is smooth.

4. Divide the batter between the muffin cases, filling each one two-thirds. Pop in the oven and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until risen and springy to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin for a short while, then remove to a wire rack to cool down completely while you prepare the frosting.

5. Slowly whisk the icing sugar with the butter until no large lumps of butter remain and the mixture is sandy in consistency. Add the cream cheese and mix on a medium-to-high speed until the frosting is light, fluffy and smooth. Stir in the lemon zest by hand.


I have come to the conclusion that I am such a fail at separating eggs. I wasn't put on this earth to separate eggs. Many helpless eggs were harmed in the making of this cupcake.


Success! Some festive cupcake cases have been used AND I am over my post-Christmas depression!

No comments:

Post a Comment