Thursday 22 March 2012

Mini Victoria Sandwich Cakes

Reasons why I consider myself to be the most British person I know:

1) In my imagination, Kate Middleton is my best friend
2) I drink countless cups of tea everyday
3) I watch The Apprentice. Nick and Karen feel like family, ok?
4) I'm pale. I'm the palest person I know and I'm proud
5) Exploring London is my favourite thing ever
6) I have an obsession with the Royal family. I cannot hide my love for them.
7) I have a Union Jack flag proudly displayed on my bedroom wall
8) Julie Andrews is my third grandma

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't try to hide my British-ness. I embrace it, God save the Queen and all that. So, me and all of my British-ness have decided to celebrate this very important year for Britain by baking British. (This is turning into a competition to see how many times I can say British in one post)
There is nothing more traditional than a Victoria Sandwich. But that's boring. I hate boring. 

So I made them mini.

And not only did I make then mini, I made them topped with Mini Eggs. Of course, this recipe is by Mary Berry (another British babe).

Ingredients
2 large eggs
100g self-raising flour
100g soft butter
100g caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
6 tbsp good-quality strawberry jam
300ml double cream, whipped
Mini chocolate eggs, for decoration

Method
1) Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin and line the bases of the cups with circles of nonstick baking paper. Measure the eggs, flour, butter, caster sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Whisk with an electric hand mixer for about 30 seconds, or until smooth. Using a teaspoon, spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin and even out the tops.
2) Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes until pale golden and shrinking away from the sides of the tin. Set aside to cool a little, remove from tins, peel off the paper and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
3) Slice each cold cake in half horizontally across the centre. Spread the cake centres with jam and two thirds of the whipped cream and sit the other half back on top. Spread the remaining whipped cream on the top of the cakes and arrange the mini eggs on top to decorate.




These cakes made me happy. They were small, they were scrummy and they were Easter-themed. I break up this Friday for three whole weeks of baking bliss (and revision, but let's forget about that), so these cakes were the perfect excuse to start the celebrations!

But Mary, I must complain. I don't like your all-in-one method. It freaks me out, it makes me nervous.

I'm sorry, it's just the way I feel.

1 comment:

  1. Cute!!! Wished I would have found your blog earlier, but for next eastern I'm gonna save that recipe.

    Wanna follow each other? I start right now;)

    Kisses from Berlin

    www.amihipnow.com

    ReplyDelete