Friday 30 September 2011

Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!

I think I'm turning into a little bit of a baking goddess...

Recipe

+ 175g brown muscovado sugar
+ 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
+ 100g self-raising flour
+ 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
+ 2 tsp mixed spice
+ zest 1 orange
+ 2 eggs
+ 150ml sunflower oil
+ 200g carrots, grated

FOR THE ICING
+ 100g butter, softened
+ 300g soft cheese
+ 100g icing sugar
+ 1 tsp vanilla extract

The recipe was on the BBC Good Food website and can be found here!

When I started adding the beat-up liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, the whole thing seemed a disaster. The mixture was far too dough-like and not enough like a cake-mixture... But it worked! Yay!


When they were out of the oven (which took slightly longer than expected, had to leave them in for oven for 27 minutes), I left them out on a cooling rack and made my very first cream cheese frosting... Another success. 
The only thing that wasn't a success was the piping. I've never really piped cupcakes before, and it turned into a little bit of a disaster. After watching several 'How to' videos on YouTube, I attempted it myself. Fail. My hands were shaking and I didn't really know what I was doing.
But practice makes perfect. All will be better next time...


I really liked this recipe, the cupcakes were really moist, which was surprising considering my worries about the lack of liquid in the beginning. I'm definitely baking these again!



Of course, when taking photos, I had to choose the best iced cake. Duh.


Even my parents liked it, which is saying a lot for them. They hate cakes, and can't stand the fact that I'm so obsessed with making them. Sorry mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment